Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2018

#MeToo thoughts

 I go to a support group and we rant about the exclusivity of Me Too all the time. I think it's extremely triggering for survivors to witness a form of sexual assault becoming "normalized" with no attempt to do the same for our experiences. Despite it being a major win for women and feminism, the movement has only made me feel more isolated. It hasn't given me a lot of hope that our traumas are on their way to being talked about or taken more seriously in the mainstream, and it hasn't made me feel safer to discuss my trauma, because... obviously, Me Too isn't talking about me. It's talking about an element of the power structure that enabled my abuse, but it's not digging to the core of the matter, or really challenging the public to do much critical thinking about it. On my more angry days, I feel as though Me Too is a corporate event being used by media companies to garner clicks and ad money, and I feel so disgusted that something that is truly traumatic and universal has been condensed in this way. Basically yes I agree with you one hundred percent. I don't think that makes you a bad survivor though. I just think that the world isn't open to our experiences, which is depressing and makes me feel terrible.
I don't relate to #metoo because I think it's shit. It seems to me like they are mostly women who are bored and need attention, so they invent new problems. Sorry if I'm a little bit tough on this one but I really hate that movement because it makes rape look unimportant. All the tweets I have seen are people complaining that someone told them they have a nice dress/smile/ass and "oh my God I can't even dress the way I want without people talking about it and I'm not just a pair of boobs you know and..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment